Resources for language-learning and cultural exchange in Pittsburgh.
* Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh - The Oakland branch has a bi-monthly Chinese Conversation Course
* Fox Chapel Area High School - has Mandarin Chinese classes for adults on Thursday evenings
* Mt. Lebanon Public Library - Conversational Chinese and Chinese Culture group meets every Thursday evening, al levels welcome.
* Winchester Thurston School - This private prep-school in Shadyside offers various levels of Mandarin classes for the Pittsburgh community
* University of Pittsburgh - credit and non-credit Chinese courses for the Pittsburgh community
* Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh - The Oakland branch has several free Japanese classes: Japanese for Beginners, Japanese II (for high-beginners and intermediates), and Japanese Conversation (for intermediate and advanced learners). The Squirrel Hill branch currently offers Japanese for Beginners on the first and third Wednesdays of the month, and the East Liberty branch has a Japanese course as well.
* University of Pittsburgh - credit and non-credit Japanese courses for the Pittsburgh community
* Winchester-Thurston School - doesn't offer Japanese-language classes, but has Taiko drumming lessons "open to anyone interested in learning about the art form, we seek to educate members of the community about taiko and about Japanese culture through performances and outreach activities."
* Anime Club - Several branches of the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh offer anime programs, usually for teens. Search the library website for details.
* Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh - The Oakland branch has three free classes: Korean for Beginners, Korean II, and Korean conversation.
* Meetup.com Korean study group
* University of Pittsburgh – credit and non-credit Korean courses for the Pittsburgh community (many of the course materials are available online)
No disrespect intended, but there's just a paucity of resources available for those interested in other languages and cultures
* Conversation partner - Local English-language programs often have conversation partner programs that let ESL students meet one-on-one with local native English speakers. Contact Duquense University's ESL Program or the University of Pittsburgh's English Language Institute for details.
* Vietnamese at University of Pittsburgh - from time to time the University of Pittsburgh Less-Commonly-Taught Language Center offers Vietnamese classes